Creating a single page
You need to go to the AdminCP, pages icon (double page icon), then select Pages. Now you'll need to click the "Add Page" button on the upper right.
The next popup screen it will ask if you want "Page Builder" or "Manual HTML". For most people that I work with 99% of them should be using the Page Builder option. This will let you do everything as a drag and drop layout. Manual HTML I highly suggest you bone up on your HTML5 coding. HTML4 coding will cause site problems and security issues if your coding is poor or you attempt to use HTML4 code.
Now we get to layout the information about the page.
- Page Name - This you have to put on your SEO hat. This will be the "Page Title" that Google will be seeing. So make sure that the page title is using good keyword relevant to the page you're creating. You can always change this later if need be.
- Page Filename - This will be the filename stored virtually on your site. This is just a simple filename but the requirement is that the extension has to be htm or html. For example: mypage.htm or mypage.html is valid.
- Page Folder - If you have a folder created for your files then you can select it. If you are just creating a few pages then no folder is required. If you're going to have a lot of pages you might want to organize into folders.
- Theme - Typically you will just use a default theme unless you want a special theme for a page color and style wise. Then you would select the theme to use it here for this page.
- Template - One column, Two column, or three column pages can be produced. This will create a template for you to drag your modules onto creating your page. Typically most people will use a single column.
When you're done make sure to hit the "Save" button at the bottom.
Title & Meta Tags. This is where you need your SEO hat on. Make sure all information provided here is actually in your page content. If you looking for keywords you can use a keyword counter and pull the strongest keywords from your page. Make sure your title includes your strongest keywords as well. You might find out you need to edit your page content to bring the keywords count up you need.
- Page Title - Google typically displays the first 50-60 characters of a title tag.
- Keywords - Google and other search engines no longer consider the keywords meta tag, but they are smart enough to figure out what keywords and phrases have been used in the pages content, title and meta description. Disregard the keywords meta tag altogether and focus on your titles, descriptions, and on page content.
- Meta Description - Meta descriptions can be any length, but search engines generally truncate snippets longer than 160 characters. It is best to keep meta descriptions long enough that they're sufficiently descriptive but shorter than that 160-character limit.
Menu Tab. You may produce a menu tab at this point. Typically I don't suggest this because you have limited ability editing the menu here. It's best to do it with the menu manager and getting the layout right the first time. I'm not saying this is wrong just not as easy from here. Please visit my other article about Linking to a new page and it explained better. So you may skip this tab.
Now set your permissions for your new page. Any groups that are check marked will be able to see your page. In my example, I'm going to display mypage.htm to everyone including non-registered members.
After you hit "Save" your page is created.
Edited by Michael